INOV8 Links: Jerry Adams Joins VIC Board, Michigan Wins Walmart Challenge
We’ll be at the El Dorado Entrepreneur Conference all day Friday.
Expect some reports from it next week in this space. It runs from 10 to 4 at the El Dorado Conference Center, and will include the city’s second Gone in 60 Seconds pitch contest, beginning at 5:30. (G60 played the historic Rialto downtown last year.)
So, as we head to the timberlands of Lower Arkansas to see first hand, once again, the rockin’ entrepreneurial goings-on down south, we leave y’all with some links to chew on:
- Jerry Adams has joined the board of Fayetteville’s VIC Technology Venture Development. Adams, of course, is the president of the Arkansas Research Alliance, and one of the state’s tech-based entrepreneurial bigwigs. VIC, of course, is the development firm based at the Arkansas Research & Technology Park whose portfolio companies include IA clients like NanoMech, BiologicsMD, Ascendant Diagnostics and more. Check ‘em all out here.
- Covaron from the University of Michigan won the Walmart Better Living Business Plan Challenge in Bentonville recently. EverClean Coating Solutions, the UA startup that finished third at the 2013 Governor’s Cup, made the final eight as the Mid-South region winner. EverClean has developed a nano-coating used in the manufacturing of solar cells. Coravon, which took home the $20,000 grand prize at Walmart, has a line of high-grade engineering ceramics. Takachar from MIT won “first” place at Walmart (aka second place) abd $10,000 with its low-emission charcoal briquettes made from trash in Kenya.
- Gene Patents. No, not that strange kid from fourth grade. We mean those little things related to DNA research that, you know, “bestow ownership” on an idea or invention. Adam Rutherford of The Guardian believes them to be a “hindrance to innovation.” Interesting. Read on here. Funny, but Boston.com wonders aloud whether or not patents hinder research. (For the record, the Boston Globe folks appear to have wondered this a couple of days before The Guardian did.)
- Speaking of patents, check out our patent database with new search features. Need to know how many patents were issued to inventors in Possum Grape? We got it. Need to know how many cat scratchers have been assigned to folks in Morrilton? Now you can get it.
- We’re not done. More patent debate, this from CMAJ about legal battles over drug patents in India.
- Finally, to all our readers and, yes, for those about to innovate, we salute you! (You’re welcome, Startup Lawyer.)
You can leave a response below, or trackback from your own site.